I made these Crayon Hearts a couple years ago for a simple Valentines day decoration. I'm not a big fan of the cheesy valentine decorations you usually see at the store but I thought these were simple enough and they take no time at all to make. My old living room was always filled with sun so I hung them in the window to let the light shine through.
What you'll need:
1. Start with a large piece of wax paper. Fold it in half. Then unfold.
2. Shave your crayons with a pencil sharpener. I used reds and pinks
but you could add any color you want.
3. Spread the shavings all over one half of the wax paper.
Make sure it's not too thick in any one spot.
4. Fold the other half over the crayon shavings.
5. Martha suggests putting craft paper over the wax to protect it
but I didn't have that so I just used a kitchen towel.
6.Slowly iron over the wax paper, checking often to see if the crayon's have melted.
7. After all the shavings have melted, let them cool.
8.Now you can cut out your hearts. You can trace hearts if you want, but I just did it free hand to make them more unique.
9.I had a hard time stringing the hearts, Martha doesn't really explain how to do this, so you might have an easier way but I'll tell you what I did.
10. I took a staple and poked a small hole in the hearts, then threaded the string through and tied a knot.